Why Write a Blog?

I think all of us want the world to be a great place to live. But as I look around I see a world that sometimes seems like it is falling apart. I know what the bible says about the world. It's fallen. It's subject to frustration. It groans. The bible even says that one day the earth will be shaken, then the sky will be rolled up like a scroll and everything will melt in a fervent heat - then there will be a new heavens and a new earth. The point being, God doesn't intend for this world to last forever.

But what about the world that I have to live in? I used to think, man I hope that this world I enjoy living in with its beautiful skies, oceans, mountains, forests and this country that I love with its people, churches, schools, airports, restaurants, great stores, etc. lasts until after I'm gone. Meaning - I want a good place to live while I'm on the earth, but afterward, it doesn't matter to me.

I realize now that I'm no longer satisfied with that. I don't have children yet, but one day I will. What about them? What about my friend's children? What about them? It's up to us to leave them with a world that they can live, love, grow, prosper, and raise their children in.

So why write a blog? Well, because I believe that God has revealed a thing or two to me about how to live in this world. As I live and grow, I gain wisdom. God says with all your getting get wisdom. I'm not sure that I've given it 100%, but I've certainly given it a lot. I've asked God for wisdom. I'm eager to understand His heart and His mind and His thoughts about things. And I believe He has helped me to understand a few things.

I've been married now 13 years. I've gained some wisdom about marriage and relationships. I was a military pilot for about 10 years. I've worked in the business world. I've been a follower and in leadership positions. I've been through many learning experiences in the military, in churches, in business, and in life. I've followed politics closely and considered the role of government, the military, the people - all in a biblical context. I'm certainly not any smarter than most of the people I know, but I've focused on these things with a desire to understand and grow. And I feel like I have something to say now.

As a pilot I have a limited forum. I have great conversations with the people I fly with and we exchange ideas and each grow from those discussions, but I didn't feel like I was doing enough with what I felt God has taught me over the years. One of the drawbacks to being a pilot is the loss of a scheduled life. I don't have the liberty to teach a Sunday school class because I don't know from one day to the next where I'll be.

So I decided to write. Write a book? Develop a webpage? A blog? I wasn't sure - but google helped out. Blogger made it easy to begin putting my ideas down "on paper".

I don't know if anyone will ever read what I write, but I believe that writing is my little part of helping to make the world a better place for my children to live. We live in a world of ideas. Ideas motivate people, and motivated people change the world. Our nation is a nation of the people, by the people, and for the people. Very few important things happen in this nation without a groundswell of public motivation.

So I put my energy into learning what principles can help make the world a great place to live. Who is God? What is His nature? What would He say about government, politics, economics, environmentalism, immigration, and every other major issue? What is His heart towards people?

I know that so, so many people associate the Christian perspective with judgmentalism, criticism, and self-righteousness. I think you'll find something different in my perspective. Sure I'm a Christian, and I believe in the bible, but the God I read about there wants us to have a great life and to spread a message of forgiveness and healing - a message about life, not condemnation. He gains nothing from condemnation - He gains greatly by His love. He is a God of liberty - A God of freedom. He made all people to be free. Free to choose Him, free to reject Him, and free to live the life that results from those choices and all the other choices that we make.

That message I believe forms an amazing foundation for every other social issue we face. I believe that the United States of America, in its original formation, reflected so much of the heart of God. I believe that America grew and prospered because of the principles of liberty upon which it was founded - principles revealed to the founders through the pages of the old and new testaments. The wisdom of God made manifest in our nation's founding documents - especially the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.

When I see the world falling apart around me (as I mentioned earlier) it is in, what I believe, direct proportion to the degree to which we the people lose the intent of those founding documents.

So I write a blog. It is my little attempt to take the wisdom of God and put it in a form that may help a few people see what a great God we have and what a great nation His wisdom has given us. And in so doing, hopefully, this nation will remain a nation of the people, by the people, and for the people so that one day my children, and their children, for as many generations as the world remains, will be able to enjoy the liberty for which God made them.

No comments: